Marketers need accurate, up-to-date demographics to effectively implement a data-driven social strategy.
This is due to the ever-changing nature of the online social landscape. Now more than ever, it’s important to prioritise your time and resources carefully when deciding which networks to invest in. Pay close attention to your target audience.
Statistics that every social media user should know
Whether you’re conducting market research or making decisions about which platforms to prioritise, having accurate demographic information is essential.
Curious about the most promising new app releases? Looking for fresh places to cross-post your content? Concerned that a connection is “dying”?
All bases are covered here
Please find our compilation of the most important social media statistics of 2023 below (and beyond). These estimates are founded on the most up-to-date data from studies and social media as of this writing.
More information to help understand your audience
Use these statistics for your personas and your targeting, and then consult these resources to hone your methods:
Step-by-step guidance for organising successful social media campaigns
What are the most crucial social media metrics to monitor?
Determine who you want to talk to on social media and how to get user attention.
Statistics on the population and the frequency of Facebook use
- Users: 2.91 billion on a monthly basis
- 25-34 year olds make up the largest age group (31.5%).
- The gender breakdown is as follows: 43% female, 57% male (no data on other genders)
- Daily time: 33 minutes
- Lessons for 2022 from Facebook’s demographic data
- Facebook continues to dominate the market share of social media platforms despite enduring controversy, “adpocalypses,” and new competitors.
- Despite the meteoric rise in social media use, the average daily time spent on Facebook has actually decreased over the past five years, from 38 minutes to 33.
- Millennials and Generation Z are sticking with TikTok and Snapchat instead of Facebook and Instagram, as evidenced by demographic data from last year.
- Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding Facebook’s reach, ad revenue keeps rising, demonstrating how integral Facebook ads are to the marketing industry as a whole.
Analysis of Instagram’s Userbase
- At least 2 billion people use it on a monthly basis.
- The age bracket of 25-34 (31.2%) is the largest, followed by the age bracket of 18-24 (31%).
- Males make up 51.8% of the population while females make up 48.4%. (no data on other genders)
- Monthly time commitment: 29 minutes
- What we can learn about the future from Instagram’s demographic data in 2022
- In just three years, Instagram has quietly doubled its user base to 2 billion, a staggering statistic that demonstrates the platform’s durability.
- Due to the increasing popularity of TikTok among young people, Instagram may no longer be seen as the “cool” social media platform among today’s youth.
- In spite of this, Instagram continues to have a strong hold on the younger generations, specifically Gen Z and Millennials, who together account for about two-thirds of Instagram’s user base.
- Instagram’s growth in e-commerce is reflected in its user numbers and the launch of Shopping features like Drops.
- TikTok continues to attract influencers away from Instagram in 2021, despite the success of reels.
Analysis of TikTok’s User Base and Demographics
There are 1 billion unique users each month.
People between the ages of 10 and 19 make up the largest age group (25%).
Sex ratio: females make up 61%, males 39% (no data on other genders)
A daily average of 89 minutes
Insights into the 2022 TikTok user base from demograhic data
Since our last social media demographics breakdown, TikTok’s popularity and growth have skyrocketed (by around ten times).
Not only has the number of users grown rapidly, but so has the amount of time they spend on the site, with the average user now spending nearly 90 minutes per day there.
In fact, nearly 40% of Generation Z members say they are directly influenced by products they see on TikTok, so companies should take notice.
More and more companies are jumping on the bandwagon, and with them, influencers.
To better serve its users, TikTok is expanding and “maturing,” adding features like more sophisticated advertising and CRM integrations.
Statistics on the Users of LinkedIn
Average monthly users: 810 million
There are the most people in the study between the ages of 25 and 34 (58.4%).
Gender breakdown: 48% female, 52% male
Sixty-three percent of LinkedIn’s users log in at least once per week, with another 22 percent doing so on a
Lessons for 2022 from LinkedIn’s demographic data
Although older users once dominated LinkedIn, younger users (Millennials) now outnumber them.
In order to reach their ideal, highly-motivated audience, B2B marketers can benefit greatly from using LinkedIn, which the company claims is the best social network for lead generation.
LinkedIn has a massive international reach, with only 180 million (25%) of its users based in the United States.
How important are social media user demographics to your plan?
Keep in mind that this is aggregate data based on billions of users, and use it as a jumping off point for your brand’s social media strategy.
Examining the demographic information from your own social presence to see how it compares to the averages above is a good place to start if you’re trying to broaden your reach.
Save these stats for reference as you develop your social media plan for 2023; they may confirm your suspicions or surprise you.